Sunday, February 15, 2009

Martin and Obama

Martin Luther kings day was coming and I knew that I wanted to do something with my family. The idea that we were about to inaugurate our new President Barack Obama the next day was almost hard for me to bare. I had been thinking and waiting for this miracle for a long time. I had a lot of anxiety about the whole thing.  After receiving an email from Michelle Obama asking all Americans to join together for a day of service, I finally felt like I was actually a part of this country. My goal was to shoot over to this event taking place at the civic center, it was in stead of the traditional Martin Luther King march. It was totally over by the time we got there. Most of the people that usually participated went to Washington for the big day, so it wasn't a huge turn out.  We had to celebrate this historical day, hoping to hang out all day, have a sleep over at my sisters and join other people downtown for the inauguration. It was so fantastic. I bought my first flag ever and was proud to finally wave it with dignity. It inspired me how Betsy Ross made the first American flag out of hemp. I will make them for 4th of July.
 If you haven't been to the Martin Luther King fountain at the Yerba buena center its a must. We go as a family a lot and always get an eclair at Papa beards across the street. I enjoyed so many thing about these two days. Being with my kids, being able to touch the words of "I have a dream" and feeling like his words made so much sense now. With Barack Obama as our president and the words YES WE CAN he gave to us to teach our children is beyond anything I could ever dream of. 

              


 
        












No comments: